Sacramento Employment Law Attorneys
Your job is central to your life and well-being. But conflicts often arise in the workplace between workers and their employers in which the employer, by virtue of greater resources, will usually have the advantage over the employee. Employment lawyers perform a much-needed service in representing those who have suffered illegal treatment in the workplace.
Employment Law Wage and Hour Violations
While your goal in working is probably to earn a decent living—enough to provide security for yourself and your family—your employer’s primary concern is making profits. Unfortunately, the employer’s desire to earn ever-increasing profits may be at odds with your needs. It is common for businesses to look for every possible angle to maximize its profits, and that often includes reducing their labor costs.
This may result in various schemes to reduce payroll requirements, such as avoiding overtime pay by miscategorizing regular employees as exempt from overtime laws or by paying actual employees as contractors to avoid providing benefits and to eliminate payroll taxes and social security contributions required by law.
Your Employer Objects to Your Exercising a Legal Right
Employers are often displeased when their workers demand a legal right—for example taking leave under the federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), or taking time off for jury duty, National Guard service, or even voting. Nor do they appreciate their employees reporting OSHA safety violations or wage and hour claims, or reporting company fraud to the authorities. But these are all legally protected by Employment Law, and any employer attempting to prevent them or retaliate against an employee exercising these rights, is breaking the law.
Illegal Discriminatory Practices
In other cases, personal or company-wide biases may disadvantage employees through unlawful discrimination or harassment. California and federal laws specify classes of people protected from discrimination in the workplace based on certain characteristics:
- National origin
- Gender identity
- Sexual orientation
- Medical condition
- Genetic characteristics
When You Need an Employment Lawyer
Unfortunately, the employee is often powerless against the much greater resources of an employer. Attorneys who focus their practice to employment law work with individuals and groups who have been harmed by illegal practices and have suffered economic and non-economic damages as a result. They are an invaluable tool in leveling the playing field and empowering ordinary workers to face up to employers who fail to comply with the law.
This is a partial list of reasons you might want to consult a labor attorney:
- You are being paid less than you’re owed
- You believe you are being subjected to illegal discrimination
- Your job title is not consistent with your job functions, and you’re being denied overtime pay because of it
- You believe your employer is engaged in unlawful activities
- You are being asked to sign a complicated legal document that you do not completely understand
- A group of other employees at your company have the same complaint against the employer
- You have made a complaint to a governmental agency (for example the EEOC) and feel they haven’t investigated properly or their determination is incorrect
- You have reason to believe that you were illegally terminated from your job
- You believe that your employer has not been complying with employment laws
- Your employer has retaliated against you for complaining about discrimination
- You think you’re wrongly classified as being exempt from overtime or as an independent contractor
The Expert Legal Counsel You Need for Illegal Employment Practices in Northern California
When you encounter a legal problem at work, contact Labor Law Office, APC in Sacramento for the experienced legal representation that will maximize your chances of recovering damages when your rights have been violated or your employer is breaking the law. Our highly skilled attorneys can investigate your claim and aggressively pursue a monetary recovery and other remedies for you. We have a 20-year track record of successfully resolving employment-related disputes.
Call Labor Law Office, APC today to schedule an evaluation of your work-related legal problem. The evaluation is free and without obligation. Don’t wait, because legal time limits apply, and you could risk losing your right to a recovery.